How many times have you been to a party where there is 7-layer dip? Yes, I’m talking about the refried beany, sour creamy, cheesy classic. While there are components of a traditional 7-layer dip that are good for you, many are not. My alternative adds a Mediterranean twist and every single layer is not only delicious, but good for you! It really should be called Heart Health Dip, but that just didn’t sound appealing. Oh, and it’s gluten free and vegan, in case you’re looking for an appy to serve your entire crowd. Layers of roasted vegetables and olives are separated by protein-packed hummus. I may have caught Doug scooping it into a bowl and eating it with a spoon- that might be pushing it. Did you know that Saturday is National Hummus Day? Why not throw a party to celebrate with this dip!
I received free samples of Sabra Hummus mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Sabra and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
I am a lover of hummus for many reasons- it’s packed with flavor and loaded with fiber and protein to hold me to the next meal. I use it for many things- on veggies, as a condiment on a sandwich (instead of mayo) or to dip my pizza in. Consider choosing it instead of ranch next time. Compare nutrition facts labels, and you’ll see why! My go to is Sabra, as it’s readily available in most grocery stores and comes in a variety of flavors. Check out my Mini Mediterranean Calzones for another great appetizer idea featuring it.
- 3 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup roasted red peppers
- 1 container of Sabra hummus (I used garlic, but any flavor will be delicious)
- 1/4 cup chopped Greek olive mix
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber (1/4″ dice)
- 2 cups of chopped eggplant (1/2″ dice)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Toss eggplant in olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper. Place on prepared baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, or until browned, soft and halved in size. Allow to cool completely.
3. Line your favorite bowl (approx 2 cup capacity) with plastic wrap.
4. Place ingredients in layers in the following order: parsley, red pepper, 1/2 container of hummus, olives, cucumber, 1/2 container of hummus, eggplant. Be sure to level off each layer with a spoon or mini spatula. You may find that you need to press the eggplant in slightly at the end.
5. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
6. Place a serving platter or large plate over top of the bowl and then flip over. Remove the bowl and then slowly, the plastic wrap.
7. Serve with crudités and pita chips (keep separate for gluten free friends).
Note: If you want to prepare the dip quickly and not worry about creating a shape and visible layers, you can simply layer the ingredients in the opposite order and then not flip it out.