It’s hard to believe that a year has gone by since Doug received the news that we would be moving back to the West Coast (aka best coast) for his residency. Only days after, we departed on our honeymoon to Italy and Greece. This recipe was inspired by the flavors of our trip, and by my love of brunch dishes that also work beautifully as dinners. A strata, in case you were curious, is an egg based dish that also incorporates bread and cheese (think quiche crossed with frittata and bread pudding). In keeping with the Mediterranean theme and boosting the nutritional value of the dish, I used Toufayan pita in place of bread. The end result- a fluffy, flavorful dish that will wow your brunch guests or make for an easy weeknight meal.
I received free samples of Toufayan Pita mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Toufayan Bakeries and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
I love egg-based dishes because a) I always have eggs b) They’re packed with protein c) They’re vegetarian and d) They’re easy on the wallet. Pairing eggs with Toufayan pitas boosts the fiber and protein content of the dish. In case you were wondering, Toufayan is family-owned bakery, and the largest Pita company in the US. Being the largest company in the US, their products are available nationwide (click here for local availability). I am personally loving the Organic Sprouted Whole Wheat Pita. This recipe is extremely versatile in that you can use any of the available flavors. I used Sweet Onion, but I also think that Garlic or Multigrain would work nicely.
The best part about this recipe- I put it together in 30 minutes and I had most of the ingredients on hand. The combination of flavors from the olives, roasted red peppers, sundried tomatoes and spinach really does bring me back to Santorini.
- 1 x 350 g package of Toufayan pita bread, cut into 1″ squares
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced
- 1 x 16 oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, diced
- 1 cup feta cheese
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
1) Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease a 9 x 12″ baking dish.
2) In a large fry pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Sauté onions for 5 minutes or until lightly golden.
3) Squeeze liquid from spinach. Add to onions and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
4) Add olives, peppers and tomatoes to vegetable mixture.
5) Add approximately half of the pita and half of the vegetable mixture to the baking dish. Use a wooden spoon to distribute the vegetable mixture amongst the pita. Top with half of the cheese.
7) Repeat step 5, using remaining pita, vegetable mixture and cheese.
8) In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and spices. Pour egg mixture over ingredients in baking pan.
9) Let sit for 30 minutes, allowing the liquid to soak into the bread. Alternatively, cover and refrigerate overnight.
10) Bake strata for 40-50 minutes, until puffed up and starting to brown. Allow to sit for 15 minutes before serving.