I’m back…… As you may have noticed, I took quite a hiatus from blogging (read more below). Anyways, I have been inspired to revive this little blog of mine and share a brand new recipe that we devoured this weekend. This month’s Recipe Redux theme is Taco Tuesday. Soft tacos are one of my favorite dishes so naturally I was excited to develop a new recipe. This recipe is based off my favorite taco at the Rum House in New Orleans. We used to bike there on Fridays after work and enjoy a house-made margarita and the “Two Dat” taco special. Both of us have been missing NOLA lots this year, but especially now when Mardi Gras is getting into full swing. For your eating pleasure, my version of the taco is much healthier, replacing the queso cheese sauce with my yogurt-based cilantro lime crema. I promise you won’t be able to stop at just one.
I’m sure you’re wondering what has happened with my blogging over the past several months. Through the grapevine, I know some thought I may have stopped altogether. A lot happened in the past year- we moved back to the West Coast from New Orleans, got married and both started new jobs. While I adore my new job (more on that later), I really wanted to commit my attention and focus there while getting started. Doug’s now officially well into his residency and (as you may have guessed) his very limited time outside of work is spent catching up on sleep. Needless to say I take care of most of the “other” stuff, so blogging gets pushed to the bottom of the list. Enough excuses from me though- I’ve missed hearing that you’ve enjoyed one of my recipes and interacting with the blogging community online. In posting this, this is my way of holding myself accountable to moving blogging back up the priority list 🙂 Expect to hear from me A LOT more.
Back to these delicious tacos. These babies are high in protein (thanks shrimp + beans and Greek yogurt) and have several types of veggies to boot. Additionally, they’re quick. In returning to blogging, I’m going to be sharing more of my quick, go-to meals.
- 3/4 lb large shrimp (some of us would call these prawns; uncooked, peeled, deveined and chopped into 1/2″ chunks)
- 1/2 can black beans, rinsed and drain
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3/4 tsp each paprika and cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch cayenne
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/3 cup diced roasted red peppers
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage mix (I used Trader Joe’s Cruciferous Crunch)
- 6 small corn tortillas
For the Cilantro Lime Crema
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
1. Prepare the crema by pulsing all ingredients in a small food processor, bullet or other powerful blender until smooth. Taste for seasoning and adjust as desired. Set aside in the fridge.
2. Prepare spice mixture by combining paprika, cumin, onion powder, salt & cayenne. Set aside.
3. Heat oil over medium-high and sauté onions until just starting to brown. Add shrimp and sprinkle with 1/2 spice mixture. Cook until shrimp is pink and cooked through.
4. Add black beans and red pepper. Add remaining spice mix and cook until beans are heated through.
5. Assemble tacos with warm shrimp & bean mixture, topping with cabbage and crema.